Is your receding hairline killing your dating game? You’re not alone. Lots of men tie their confidence directly to their hair, and indeed that’s because it’s one of the features people notice first about you.
53% of men in their forties have at least moderate hair loss, and 30% of men are dealing with hair loss by their thirties. Thinning hair and the appearance of a receding hairline gives the impression of a stressful, fast-paced life at work.
Men that receive hair transplants appear to be more successful, younger and more attractive. In general balding men are perceived to be at least four years older than their age. However, women associate bald men with dominance, so that doesn’t mean you’re screwed if your hair is starting to recede.
The best receding hairline haircuts include:
- Long Hair
- Emo Haircut
- Clean shave
- Short hairstyles
- Buzz Cut
- Faux Hawk haircut
- Comb-over hairstyle
- Messy hairstyle
- Spiky Hairstyles
- Modern Pompadour
- Get a Unique Design
Hairstyles for Receding Hairlines
You can make your receding hairline attractive with different hairstyles. Here are the best types of hairstyles for men with receding hairlines:
1. Long Hair
Hair that’s long is easily styled to cover up a receding hairline, provided you still have most of your hair in your front region.
Long hair is associated with wisdom, masculinity, and dominance. There’s a reason most gods are depicted as having long hair. If you want to be seen as an all-powerful father figure, get this haircut.
Men have not always cut their hair short. Even in the Victorian era, men would wear powdered wigs to give the illusion of long hair. Plus, you can assume that in cavemen times, no scissors were available and that everyone had long hair. Long hair had to have been the default haircut for tens of thousands of years.
2. Emo Haircut
The classic emo haircut will hide your forehead and balding spots with longer hair.
3. Clean shave
The clean shave is a look that doesn’t work for everyone but if your head shape compliments your face it can look really good. Shaving your head actually implies a lot of good things about you: like the fact that you’re not trying to hide your receding hairline, don’t give a crap, and are being honest with everyone.
4. Short hairstyles
Growing your hair out can actually be a detriment for receding hairlines because the longer you grow it, the easier it is to see that your hair is way thicker in the front of your head than by your temples. Short hairstyles for men with receding hairlines actually helps to hide low density or absence of hair.
5. Buzz Cut
A slightly longer and less brutal option than the clean shave is the buzz cut. Giving off the vibe that you’re a soldier, this is a masculine and dominant haircut, provided you’re jacked/muscular enough to pull it off. It’s also arguably the easiest to maintain. By drawing attention away from your hairline and instead towards your brow-line, it actually accentuates your facial features. You can also taper off the sides instead of fading them, like Randy Orton.
6. Faux Hawk haircut
By drawing attention to the center of the hairline the faux hawk actuallys uses a receding hairline to its advantage.
7. Comb-over hairstyle
No, not the Donald Trump haircut. A comb-over can actually look stylish and elegant. But it requires a bit of maintenance.
8. Messy hairstyle
Remember that men evolved having long hair just like women. The attraction from long hair is primal. Long shaggy hair is your savior if you’ve got a prominent receding hairline.
9. Spiky Hairstyles
The spiky hairstyles are actually very flexible. You can leave them down or up, and get a sick fade too if you want. However, it requires some work to style it correctly.
10. Modern Pompadour
Why hide your receding hairline? Instead, fully own it. No better way to get girls to call you “daddy” than to show off your maturity.
Bonus Tip: Get a Unique Design
Now, I wouldn’t actually do this one myself, but hear me out. This haircut will take away from the receding hairline look, by, ironically, making the receding hairline worse on purpose. Plus, if you actually had the balls to get this haircut, you would be very polarizing. You would turn off a lot of people, but others would respect you for being able to make such a bold statement and not care what anyone thinks. What is more alpha than that?
Styling your hair:
If you’ve shaved your head or have a buzz cut, you don’t have to worry about anything! Your life is set!
Once you get home from the barber, you’ve got several options in terms of styling. But first get a high quality pre-styler to protect your hair from UV damage and the chemicals you’re about to put on it, straighten curly hair to get it ready for styling, and to give it more volume (which is what you want when you’re trying to hide thinning hair).
The best way to get your hair to stay where you want though is to blow-dry it well. If your hair is blown and dried in one direction with high heat, your hair will tend to stay that away, because your hair remembers heat.
For haircuts that are spiky or require you to cover the receding hairline with hair, obviously you want products with a good hold that won’t sway out of the way anytime a breeze rolls through. Use hair spray as well to get hair to stay where you want.
To add volume and body to your hair, blow dry it in all directions before you finally blow dry it in the direction you want it to stay in all day long. Blow drying it this way will make your hair thicker and voluminous, which will reduce the illusion that your hair is thinning.
If you have longer hair, put some hair oil on the tips. It will prevent it from splitting and just look cool.
How to prevent hair loss:
- You can try medications but you will have to use them every day to the rest of your life and they might affect your sex life. Minoxidil is one of the most common and popular forms of medication for hair loss, particularly for male pattern baldness, but also generally used in cases of alopecia areata (patchy hair loss). It’s an over-the-counter drug that comes in either liquid or foam and is applied on the scalp, particularly on the bald patches, to promote hair growth and stop further hair loss. Finasteride helps prevent future hair loss by blocking DHT, which attacks hair follicles in those people that are predisposed to male pattern baldness. But DHT also modulates libido, so watch out for side effects too when you get on it.
- One of the keys to preventing future hair loss is not to wash your hair in very hot water as it damages the hair follicles. Also, don’t wash your hair too frequently. Very hot water could cause hair loss because of the damage it can do to one’s scalp, causing hair follicles to weaken and hair to fall out. Washing your hair with hot water cleans your scalp and washes away oils in your hair more effectively than cold water, and has no effect on your rate of hair growth or your hair growth patterns. However, washing your hair with water that is too hot can dry out your hair and scalp, making hair brittle and more prone to breakage. When you wash your hair in water that’s too hot, you also remove more oil from your scalp which can lead to an overproduction of oil that can then damage your hair at the root and cause excess shedding.
- Do not use shampoo every day. Once a week at most. Each time you use it, you’re stripping protective oils.
- After a hot shower do not dry your hair vigorously with a towel, but soak the water off.
- In general, when you start noticing hair loss, increase your water consumption to two quarts a day through a healthy diet. Evaluate your body for malabsorption. Many times hair loss shows up due to a lack of essential vitamins due to chronic intestinal inflammation. Make sure you get your B vitamins, zinc, iron, and silica. If you’re a vegetarian, you’re probably missing out on B12.
- Massaging your head every morning and evening with a brush that doesn’t scrape up your scalp is the most effective way to improve circulation, prevent hair loss and even awaken dead hair cell follicles.
- If you like to do everything to help hair loss, include the Sirsasana yoga pose (headstand pose). This exercise increases blood supply to the head, is beneficial for brain function and all sensory organs in the head (eyes, ears etc.), it improves memory, and improves the ability to concentrate. Right after this exercise you should rest in a laying position to stabilize blood flow, but do not get up rapidly. After resting, massage your receding hairline with your fingers with a back and forth movement.
- Try out some natural treatments for hair loss combined with microneedling. Microneedling creates tiny little needle punctures in your skin which forces blood to rush to the site and allows you to deliver topical ingredients straight into the dermis, leading to dramatically increased production absorption. Start with peppermint oil, which has been proven to help hair loss.
Click here for more information and solutions on hair loss.